[Sca-cooks] Strawberry Recipes?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri May 11 04:29:54 PDT 2001

Katy Ice wrote:

> --
> Hello all,
>
> Does anyone have any good recipes involving fresh strawberries that would be acceptable for a feast? Hopefully somewhat simple to make, as I am running short on time before Saturday, when the feast is. I have ALOT of fresh, ripe strawberries here and was hoping to find something yummy to make for Sat. Any suggestions?

A strained puree can be cooked with red wine and a thickener of bread
crumbs or perhaps rice flour, seasoned with cloves and with a little
lard or butter stirred in to give it a shine and prevent a skin from
forming as it cools. Some interpret this dish as a pudding; I prefer to
think of it as a thick soup. Various fourteenth-century English sources
give a series of such dishes, all pretty much alike except for the
different pureed and strained main ingredient, ranging from cherries to
strawberries to hawthorne blossoms.

A later approach from the seventeenth century would be to make a fool,
normally by mixing that same puree with a thick custard sauce (like a
thick creme anglaise), to serve over sippets of toasted bread or cake.

An utterly simple, but apprently well-post-period, approach would be to
make a similar fool with the pureed fruit and whipped cream.

I also believe Elinor Fettiplace has a recipe from the late sixteenth -
early seventeenth century for a syrup of strawberries, which can
presumably be used like sekanjabin or a syrup or lemons.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com