[Sca-cooks] Garlic Question

Fri May 11 08:53:09 PDT 2001

> Huh? Why can you keep cheese in olive oil indefinitely, but
> not garlic?

AFAIK, cheese is acidic enough that it does not provide a suitable host for
botulism, garlic does.  The olive oil provides the anaerobic environment.

> What if you could kill any beasties that were already in the
> garlic, by
> parboiling or zapping in the microwave first? Would the garlic then
> stay safe in the olive oil?
>
> THLord  Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra

Clostridium botulinum reproduces by sporing.  The spores are killed by
boiling for 30 minutes.  The toxins can be destroyed by moist heat at 80 C
or 176 F for 30 minutes.  Simply parboiling or microwaving may not be
enough.

The cases of botulism from garlic in olive oil of which I am aware appear to
be in commercially packed garlic which may have become contaminated after
being opened.  I believe you will find in commercial establishments, olive
oil packed garlic is refrigerated after opening as a matter of safety.

Bear