[Sca-cooks] Skyr? and intro

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Fri May 11 10:09:52 PDT 2001

Morag Freyser said:
> OK, straight into the hard stuff - Ulfr is talking of skyr and unfortunatel=
> y the enhanced ASCII chars aren't coming through - and as I am getting very=
>  interested in all things Norse (but esp 10c Danelaw) - could I have more i=
> nfo please?  Am setting myself a challenge re food making - November Corone=
> t A&S comp is cheese. Any other recipes suitable for a beginner out there?

Welcome to SCA-Cooks, Morag.

A lot of the special characters from Ulfr and Nanna don't come through
for me either, either here at work on a PC or at home on a Mac.

You can find more on this Skyr and other interesting tidbits from
Iceland in this file in the FOOD-BY-REGION section of my Florilegium
files:
fd-Iceland-msg    (56K) 11/29/00    Food of medieval Iceland. Recipes.

This other file might also be of interest:
fd-Norse-msg      (36K)  9/17/99    Norse and Viking food.

Also check out these files in the CULTURES and the NORSE sections:
Norse-msg        (102K) 11/30/00    Norse culture. Viking raids.
pst-Vik-Norse-msg (17K)  1/10/00    Post Viking Norse. Sources.
N-drink-ves-msg    (9K) 10/16/96    Norse drinking vessels.
N-drink-trad-art  (18K)  7/31/98    "Norse Drinking Traditions" by
Gunnora
                                       Hallakarva.
Norse-food-art     (8K)  7/26/94    Article on what the Norse ate.
Norse-games-art   (32K)  7/29/96    Board games played by the Norse.
Norse-women-bib   (12K)  3/28/01    An annotated bibliography on Norse
women by
                                       Gunnora Hallakarva.

Mistress Gunnora Hallakarva is often known as "The Viking Answer" lady.
She also has a website with even more articles. I think the current URL
can be found in my Norse-msg file.

In case you've never been there, the Florilegium is on the web at:
http://www.florilegium.org

You also asked about cheese. There has been lots of good info given
on this list on this. Check these files in the FOOD section:
cheese-msg       (152K)  1/ 8/01    Medieval cheese. Recipes.
Cheese-Making-art (30K)  9/29/97    "Cheese Making for the Compleat
Novice" by
                                       Lady Aoife Finn.
cheesecake-msg    (31K)  2/16/00    Medieval cheesecake. Recipes.
cheesemaking-msg  (58K)  2/22/01    Comments and info. on cheesemaking.
Recipes.

And for other dairy products such as cream, skyr and other fermented
soured
products check this file:
dairy-prod-msg    (77K)  9/28/00    Dairy products. milk, butter, curds,
cream.

THLord Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net