[Sca-cooks] Regards the recent request

rcmann4 at earthlink.net rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sun May 13 10:20:13 PDT 2001

On 13 May 01,, Daniel Phelps wrote:

> I have taken the liberty of trying to translate/redact this menu
> into a more useable form using Curye on Inglysch's glossary.  Yes
> indeed it is about a century earlier but one uses what one has at
> hand. The translation/redaction? is in italics under the menu
> item.  Perhaps it will aid others, or at least amuse.
>
> Daniel Raoul

I have added a few suggestions, but have snipped the other entries.

> Moten roiall richely garnysshed
>
> ??? ???? (royal?) richly garnished

Muton.

> Hart powderd graunt chare
>
> Hart (deer?) (heart?) powdered (seasoned) ??? ???

"Chair" is modern French for "flesh"  I believe that char(e) has a
similar meaning in period recipes.

> Tarte poleyn
>
> Tart chopped? ground?

Polish tart?

> Fesawnte
>
> ???

Pheasant

> Mamene with lozenges of golde.
>
> ??? with lozenges of gold

Mawmene or mawmenny.  A dish made with finely ground cooked
capon meat.

> Venesone in past royall.
>
> venison in ??? (paste?) royal

Venison in royal pastry.

> Sturgyn fresshe fenell.
>
> sturgeon in fresh fennel

Might this be fresh sturgeon (as opposed to salted or dried), with
fennel?

> Fruter augeo
>
> fritter eggplant?? eggplant fritter (very much a WAG and not supported by reference)

I would very much doubt that this is eggplant.  I haven't seen period recipes
for eggplant outside the Middle Eastern/Mediterranean cuisines.  It isn't
even mentioned in the index to "Food and Drink in Britain" (and yes, I
looked under aubergine, too).  According to a web search I did, "augeo" is a
Latin word meaning "increase, enlarge, enrich, strengthen".  Perhaps this
is a fritter that has somehow been "augmented"??

> Castelles of jely in temple wise made
>
> ??? of jelly (aspic?) made like a temple?

Castles?

> Creves de endence.
>
> ??? of blue? (a WAG out of inde (indigo))

Creves= crayfish

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann