[Sca-cooks] Ancient cookery - smudged word

nexus at panix.com nexus at panix.com
Mon May 14 09:20:10 PDT 2001

>The characters in my copy are also broken, but mees [mess] is a good guess
>based on the usage in #401.
>The quantity of yolks is not eleven, it's 40. The MS  says xl, not xi.

Thanks for the clearer reading of the recipe -- as you can surely
tell my copy is not so clear.  The xl not xi is key.

I tried this using xi and the cinnamon completely overwhelmed the
sage flavors.  It wasn't bad, it just turned out to be a cinnamon
and vinegar sauce, which isn't quite what was intended.  xl instead
of xi would mean that I was using roughly 4 times the cinnamon called
for, which would explain why it swamped the sage.

JB
ALd'A