[Sca-cooks] Cat landings WAS [Fwd: [Fwd: Yeah so?]] OT OOP

Chip jallen at multipro.com
Tue May 15 12:30:23 PDT 2001

>> It supposedly takes about eight floors for the cat to realize what
>> is occurring, relax and correct itself.

> Hmmmm studies show?  Who conducted the studies?  Animal rights know
> about this one?
> Someone has too much time on their hands if they are dropping cats
> out of windows.
> Gottfried Krimmelbein

As a child, I had that much time.  Through the gracious cooperation of
a very laid-back cat, I conducted a similar study.  When held
upside-down (front legs together in one hand, back legs together in
the other) I endeavored to find out how much vertical distance a cat
requires to right itself before landing.  Bear in mind, this was done
with utmost consideration for the cat's comfort (I dropped it onto a
bed) and it didn't seem to mind in the least because it kept coming
back.

Anyhow, the cat required nowhere near eight floors to realize what was
occurring.  It landed on its feet from a yard's height.  Also from 2
feet high.  And one foot.  It was down to six inches off the ground
(bed) before it couldn't quite get all the way around.  For the cat to
actually land on its back took a drop from just one inch.  Anything
greater than that & it would at least land on its side with a high
probability of having its front feet in their proper place.  The front
half seems to twist first, the back half not far behind.

No cats were killed by this Curiosity.

Great Moments in Science.

ObFood (barely):  If you ever the misfortune to sit through
Dragonheart: A New Beginning (from Straight-to-Video Productions),
keep an eye out for the baskets full of corn visible between segments
of footage from the first movie.

Iyad ibn Bisharo / Thrain Tjuguskegg
Shire of Easaraigh, Kingdom of Meridies
Chip Allen, Cookeville, TN