[Sca-cooks] 1637 Hosokawa Sansai Kaiseki Meal

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Wed May 16 12:41:05 PDT 2001

That's very possible.  As I said, I believe I have some cookbooks upstairs that
use yam as an ingedient.

Actually, I was more excited about the idea of sushi being served that close to
period.  I had been told by some Japanese teachers staying with one of my
proteges that chirazushi (scattered sushi...a bowl of sushi rice with various
ingredients like egg omelet, raw fish and snow peas scattered over the top) was
period.  I also recollect the lady at Pennsic (having a senior moment...can't
remember her name) who lectured on Japanese food talking about the vinegared
rice being a means of preserving fish (fish and rice pressed together into a
block) and that possibly being the origin of sushi.  But this is the first
actual even close to period reference I've seen!

Kiri