[Sca-cooks] 1637 Hosokawa Sansai Kaiseki Meal

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Wed May 16 13:37:34 PDT 2001

--- ruadh <ruadh at home.com> wrote:
> 1671-72 IIRC the white potato comes to "Nutfield"
> [Londonderry/Derry], NH,
> USA along with Scot/Irish flax weavers from that
> same region of Ireland. So
> during your 1600's era the white spud [Murphy] was
> on the move. What's the
> possible very early Mexico connection [or travel
> directions] for its Yams ?

I'm pretty sure the "mountain potato" referred to in
the menu is jinenjo (also called 'mountain yam').
It's a long, thin tuber (much like a carrot, but
tapered at both ends).  I don't use it much, because
it can sometimes get a little slimy when cooked, and
my guests aren't usually up for the gastric challenge.

Balthazar of Blackmoor

=====
Let the people hate, as long as they also fear.