[Sca-cooks] 1637 Hosokawa Sansai Kaiseki Meal

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Wed May 16 15:56:05 PDT 2001

--- "Decker, Terry D." <TerryD at Health.State.OK.US>
wrote:
> I can't find any taxonomic references for yamaimo or
> jinenjo, but the (bad)
> photographs of the tubers and plants I can find make
> me think it is a member
> of the Dioscorea.  A little thing called a "Japanese
> yam" looks suspiciously
> like a member of Ipomoea.

Try this:
http://www.newcrops.uq.edu.au/listing/dioscoreajaponica.htm

It appears the mountain potato is actually Dioscorea
Japonica Thunb.  Also known as jinenju, yamaimo,
Sanyaku and Joyo, among other names.

Balthazar of Blackmoor

=====
Let the people hate, as long as they also fear.