[Sca-cooks] 1637 Hosokawa Sansai Kaiseki Meal

Black Jade black_jade at bigpond.com
Wed May 16 16:07:38 PDT 2001

At 01:50 PM 16/05/2001 -0400, you wrote:

>* NOTE: Before someone gets all happy about potatoes in near-period
>Japan I'd like to point out that we have no idea what the original
>source document says and we're relying on Ms. Cort's translation,
>presumably. It could feasibly be a potato like we're used to today
>given the 1637 date alone, but we don't know for sure. -- Iasmin

Scuse my ignorance, I didn't see any referance to potato in the message,
unless it was a referance to the white radish.  In that case it would not
have been potato, rather what the Japanese call Daikon, which is indeed a
large white radish with no really noticable flavour.
Sort of shaped like an elongated radish of gigantic proportions.
-Katerine, who has been busily planning a Japanese Feast for next year.