[Sca-cooks] Vegemite

Black Jade black_jade at bigpond.com
Thu May 17 23:09:25 PDT 2001

At 11:09 PM 17/05/2001 -0400, you wrote:

>Don't I recall seeing on this list (Jessica? Ian? Christina?) that this
>is a fairly common Oz trick to play on ign'nt 'Muricans? I could swear
>this was mentioned, so it seems quite likely that he did indeed do it on
>purpose.

Hehehehehe.  I love Vegemite, just a smear on hot buttered toast.  But the
humour value is by far the better.
When I was in Japan long ago as an exchange student, for my birthday I was
sent a large jar of Vegemite, needless to say the entire host Family said I
could keep it.  We anyway.  For my birthday they had a party, as they are
won't to do and invited most of the relatives of the family around and we
had all sorts of nice food like sushi, and sashimi and tempura and other
dielights.  They also had choco-pan.  And this is where my practical joke
impulse got the better of me.  This particular chocopan was shop
manufactured, and it was like a sandwichof be=read with a thick layer of
shocolate spread in the middle, sort of like a jam donut exept square and
looking a lot like a sandwich that had been sealed and with the
crusts  removed.
My target was on cousin, who deserved retribution for a few practical joke
he'd played on me earlier in the month.
W went out into the kitchen, grabbed one, unstuck it down on side, scraped
out all the chocolate filling and replaced it with vegemite, stuck down the
side again.  It looked innocent but lurking there was enough vegemite to
knock out an elephant.
I served it to him sat back and waited.   He took one great bite out of it
since he loves Choco-pan and needless to say his reaction was all I could
have ever hoped for =)=)=)
That was back when I was a teenager, so I've matured considerably since
then.  (Prim look)
They don't call me Min the Merciless for nothing =)
-Katerine