[Sca-cooks] Help....need suggestions for transportable nibbles

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Fri May 18 06:53:24 PDT 2001

>I'm one of the folks in charge of organizing/hosting the Queen's Tea at
>Uprising this upcoming June (Artemisia's biggest camping event, for
>those of you who didn't know), and I'll be sending out requests to the
>different Artemisian groups requesting folks to bring goodies to
>contribute.  I'd like them to be period, if at all possible, and they
>also need to be transportable, as many folks are coming from far away.
>Stuff like sausages, cheese tarts, etc. may or may not work, as the tea
>is Saturday, and the event starts Thursday.  So...I'm asking y'all to
>think deep about what's worked for various queen's
>teas/solars/whatevers, and give me some ideas.....the only ones I can
>come up with so far are sugared nuts/confits, shortbread, and possibly
>some stuff from the Miscellany.....
>Thanks in advance,
>Maire

Hi Maire.  We have done one Queens Tea last year (which we all recieved the
Silver Nautalis for) and we were invited to do another at 20 Year.  I can
try to remember what we had for last year and will post a list and/or
pictures from the upcoming Brunch.

Last year I know we had several styles of homemade bread (including that
wonderful Mexican Chocolate bread) and at least 4 different homemade pot
cheeses.  Gravlox, smoked salmon, turkey, apple-eggs, shortbread, peachpits,
homemade spice cookies, spiced nuts, brie, homemade hard cheese, candied
citrus peel, the citrus fruit taken from the peel cut into rounds dried and
dipped into chocolate with the limes being dipped in the white
(not)chocolate, ohmygodIcann'tremember....we had three tables completely
laiden with food for that Tea and we had also prepared items seperately for
the Barons Hospitality.  Oh we had tarts, ember day, cheese, spinach, pear
pie, fresh fruit, jellied milk and more.

For the upcoming Brunch, for my end of it I have already made candied
ginger, candied cranberries, peachpits and chocolate covered coffee beans.
I will also be preparing a colonial turkey, hedgehogs, an edible flower
arrangement, a special surprize for the King, candied citrus and the dried
dipped citrus fruit, at least one pot cheese, a molded fruit salad
(champaine-nonalcoholic- and oranges) probably some jellied milk and apple
eggs.

Does this help?
Olwen