[Sca-cooks] Redon-Medieval Kitchen-chicken w/ sour orange

Fri May 18 07:58:31 PDT 2001

While I don't have the Redon recipe which is from Master Martino, I have
this version from Platina, who was using Master Martino's recipes.  Latin
did not have a word for oranges so Platina used the word for lemons instead.

Bear

> "17. Roast Chicken
> Roast a chicken which is well plucked, gutted and washed, and when the
> roast is placed in a dish before it cools, put lemon juice or verjuice
> on it with rose water, sugar and well-ground cinnamon, and serve it to
> your guests."

Essentially Martino's recipe. I used the version from The Medieval Kitchen
and tried their substitution of adding 1/2 a lemon to three sweet oranges to

make a more bitter sauce. I used about 1/8 teaspoon of fresh grated
cinnamon. No sugar was added because the oranges were already sweet. 1
Tablespoon rosewater which is all I had on hand.