[Sca-cooks] Re: Kitten help

Sara K. Tallarovic electricfish at earthlink.net
Fri May 18 08:46:08 PDT 2001

When my cats were kittens, I started trimming their claws and they still
allow me to do it as adults.  A good way (the best way maybe) to start is
to try it when the kitten is sleeping on your lap, or at least
relaxing.  First, let them get used to letting you play with their
feet.  Most cats don't like having their feet manhandled, but you can get
them used to it if you start slowly.  Take each foot gently and practice
pressing lightly to make the claw stick out.  I then use regular finger
nail clippers (the nail clippers made for pets just seem awkward to me) and
snip just the very end off.  You want to look closely so that you don't
trim up into the fleshy part (if you EVER want to trim their nails again,
it is best to avoid doing this, although I have messed up once or
twice...luckily it was on my more forgiving cat).  When you do this on an
awake cat, you want to sit the cat in your lap in a C-shape, all 4 legs and
tail facing forward, with the back curved.  You can use one arm (left, if
you are right handed) to keep the cat in place, with your left hand holding
the paw.  Trim the nails with the free hand.  One of my cats is like jell-O
when I do this, and even purrs.  The other cat is squirmy, but if I can
keep her from escaping for the first minute or so, she calms
down.  Afterwards they get lots and lots of petting and praise.  I think
the important thing is to make it as non-traumatic as possible for you and
the cat.  When I started on my younger cat, it was a success if I could get
a single foot done in one sitting.  One trick I use is that I usually do it
when they get in my lap of their own volition (or sit next to me and want
attention).  Since they want to be in my lap, they have to eventually
concede to having their nails trimmed.  I keep trimmers right next to the
couch.  They probably get trimmed once a week or so...whenever I notice a
sharp claw.  I have noticed that they keep their nails retracted when they
play with me, but I'm not sure if it is because they KNOW they'll get
trimmed if they play rough, or if they know that their nails aren't that
effective when blunt.

-Shu'la, who also brushes her cats teeth....

P.S.  If you find that you have problems with a cat that bites you (even if
just playing), there is something you can get called "bitter apple"
(obligatory food reference?).  I've had friends successfully use it to
train ferrets not to bite.  It is just a bitter tasting spray that smells
like apples...you spritz it on your skin and when they bite you they regret
it (it is made primarily to keep show dogs from licking their
coats).  Maybe talk to a vet to make sure it is safe for cats, but I think
it is.