[Sca-cooks] Vegemite

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Fri May 18 15:52:31 PDT 2001

Olwen responded to me with:
> >Potato chips on a sandwich???? Bleah!
> >
> >Stefan li Rous
>
> You've never had a vine-ripe tomato and potato chip sandwich?  Or put potato
> chips on your avacado and sprout sandwich?  Never tried the wonders of chips
> on burgers?  Not even BBQ.......?? With peanut butter?
>
> Stefan...go to the corner.

Ummm. Ok, I left off the ":-)" that I meant to put at the end of
my statement. Mainly expecting someone to say something like "
The sandwich has vegemite on it and HE'S complaining about the
potato chips?".

After some of the bizarre food combinations that showed up in response
to my message, potato chips and vegemite doesn't seem so wierd now.
I guess my first thought on reading of potato chips in sandwiches is
about redundancy. You've already got the starchy bread, why add more
starch? But then I like chicken-fried steak sandwiches, and I guess
the same thing could be said about them.

None of above sounds all that interesting, although I have found
that I like some of the Asian peanut sauces on meat sandwiches.

As for Lainie's comment: "You forgot potato chips on tuna or chicken
salad!". Why run perfectly good tuna or chicken by mixing it up
with salad dressing, mayonaise or Miracle Whip? Chunks of tuna or
chicken, bread, maybe mustard. Much better.

I did find, much to my surprise, that I did like German potato
salad when I had some at a German resturant in Fredricksburg a
few weeks ago. While "traditional" though, I'm afraid that neither
that nor the vienersnitzel(sp?) that I had are going to be period,
nor I suspect have close period predecessors. Or is there some
period evidence for fried, breaded meat or perhaps turnips cooked
like German potato salad. Possibly another good example of Master
Cariadoc's statement that "traditional doesn't necessarily mean
period".

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net

PS: The herb plants I bought in Fredricksburg have been transplanted
to bigger pots and seem to be doing fairly well. They seem to be a bit
larger. I may start judiciously harvesting a few sprigs shortly.