[Sca-cooks] Nicotine in the Garden (OT and OOP)

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Sat May 19 12:52:33 PDT 2001

--- Cheriti Watts <cassea at teleport.com> wrote:
> Sorry this is a bit late on the thread, but I'm a
> bit behind on my reading.
>
> This is one of my mother's pet peeves so I have
> heard a lot about it.  From
> what I understand Nicotine in no longer sold as a
> pesticide, but maybe that
> is a regional thing.

I'm pretty sure it's a regional ban, but, for what
it's worth, I can't get it here in sunny Southern
California, either.  Believe me, I looked for it.  I
eventually had to run out and buy some malathion to
rid my garden of inchworms and thrips...hated to 'go
chemical' on them, but it worked like a charm!!!
Surely there is not a bug left alive...except the
praying manits, which is fine by me...

> The pet peeve is thus:  for many years nicotine and
> other such "natural"
> products were/have been used as pesticides on
> organically grown produce.
> There is a mistaken belief by many people that
> "natural" is synonymous with
> good for you (or at least not bad for you).

This is true.  I had invited my brother over to pick a
few pounds of my "organic" green beans and peas.  When
we began to discuss possible pesticide solutions other
than 'chemical', he had suggested nicotine.  He was
quite surprised when I explained to him exactly how
toxic the stuff was.

> Gee, dirt is natural and organic and I don't want to
> eat that either....

Yeah.  I finally gave it up about tree years ago,
myself...

Balthazar of Blackmoor

=====
Let the people hate, as long as they also fear.