[Sca-cooks] question of Italian meats

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon May 21 22:27:04 PDT 2001

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> Pancetta is a bit like the fattier side of the slice of prosciutto; it's
> cured pretty much as prosciutto is, but made from side or belly meat, so
> it looks like a rolled pinwheel of streaky bacon. I believe it is also
> sometimes cooked with the rind on, so it contributes a gelatinous aspect
> to sauces and such in addition to a salt-cured tang.

Ok- thanks for the info. From your and Niccolo's remarks, I will adjust
the salt and pay close attention to the fat content. Thank you much!

So far, I have a pair of Pork Doucetty done and cooling, and a pair of
Crust of Tame Creatures in the oven. I have a question on the pork
Doucetty though- I have always seen it made as a quiche with bits of
pork in it. But the recipe says to cut the pork up small and meddle it
with the eggs- which is just like how they describe preparing meat for
meatballs or sausage. Is tehre a chance that this could be more of a
sausage-like stuff in a crust than a quiche? After all,'meddling' sounds
more to me like working egg into a higher proportion of meat, than the
other way around. Just wondering...

> As for pulling you aside, etc., ISTR reading US Army procedure for
> performing a field lobotomy, but I suspect your days as a brilliant
> dinner-table companion, raconteuse, and general bon vivant would be
> over, and that would be such a shame I'd druther see you work yer arse
> off... ;  )

Well, thank you for the flattery! Of course I have arse to spare, but I
am trying to pace myself- hoping to have some energy to actually enjoy
the event instead of crashing because I did too much. Stress is not good
for me (and I have plenty of it!). OTOH, a frontal lobotomy _would_ tend
to ruin my hairstyle...

'Lainie
heading in now to make more pies...