[Sca-cooks] clay fondue pot

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Mon May 21 22:29:28 PDT 2001

hello!
the closest thing I have to fondue is Digby's Savory toasted cheese and La
Varennes ramekins of cheese, but neither are really fondu, ie no wine, not
melty with dippage, etc. so no, I have NO documentation that fondue is
period (at least not for me, 15th century flemish girl that I am :))

we did it as a lark because we could :)

for technique, we took my cute clay pipkin on its maiden voyage. we cut the
cheese into cubes, threw in a glug or two of white wine, some pepper and
let it heat. we moved it slowly more and more into the coals, stirring
often. When the cheese was all bubbly and melty, we dipped in bread bits
(sans forks...we used our knives or fingers) or veggies or whatever. Once
the cheese was melty, we did move it more to the side of the fire and the
retained heat kept it melty long enough to be ingested. If the cheese got
too cool, we just skooched it closer in, but that only happened once (its
amazing how quickly six adults can go through a couple pounds of
emmantalier and gruyer :))

If I had been feeling flush I would have gotten a hunk of raclette to try
and toast on the skimmer, but the emmantalier/gruyere was cheaper, and I
wouldnt have gotten to use my pipkin!

hope this helps,
--Anne-Marie