[Sca-cooks] clay fondue pot

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Mon May 21 10:33:14 PDT 2001

Anne-Marie commented:
> who thinks nothings better for camp fondue than a clay pipkin :)

Interesting. So far, no one has presented any evidence that
"fondue" is period. However, I'm more interested in your technique
here.

I recently bought a bundle of fondue forks at a Goodwill store
to go with the fondue book I got as a remainder from Jessica's
Biscuit and I should start looking at the thrift stores for
a fondue pot. (yes, Mark's cheap. Stefan however, as a rich
landowner has a reputation to uphold. :-) )

I understand that most of these modern fondue pots have a little
burner under them to keep the oil/cheese/whatever hot. Do you
just heat the stuff in the pot over the fire and then use the
retained heat of the pot to keep the food warm? Or do you actually
try to dip the food items into the liquid in the pot while it is
still over the fire? Or perhaps a bed of coals on a plate in the
middle of the table?

Thanks,
  Stefan li Rous
  stefan at texas.net