[Sca-cooks] picky teens was:question of Italian meats

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Tue May 22 09:11:40 PDT 2001

> OTOH, there is one of
> the girls who drives me crazy- she's borderline anorexic, has 'rules'
> about when she will eat, changes her rules to suit heself, and I think
> is currently claiming vegetarianism. It's not about food, really, but
> control. The rest of teh gang rolls their eyes behind her back. My
> response of late has been "We will be eating at x o'clock, and this is
> what's for dinner tonight" and if that isn't what she wants, she can
> rummage in the box for fruit and crackers and cheese or something.

When I camped with a group that used to do a food plan (and when we
started having teens with us, we ended up requiring people to be on the
food plan unless they had good reason, because people would opt-out and
then come snarfling up the leftovers), we had two grown women who were
outrageously picky eaters. One was of the diet/yuppie food strain, the
other was just picky. We ended up throwing in spaghetti-os and powerbars
and such into a box for them to eat when they were too picky for what we
served, and offering a vegetarian option.

(But those were the days.... We bent over backwards to cater to everyone.
I don't care how finicky someone is, or how scared of mad cow disease, I
will never, ever make any dish calling for cutting raw chicken at
Pennsic-- or anyplace else where I can't get the sickmaking smell of raw
poultry off my hands easily. They can eat vegetarian.)

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at mail.browser.net