[Sca-cooks] Recipes anyone?

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed May 23 15:11:51 PDT 2001

>Hey all,
>      I was wondering if anyone had any sort of Russian medieval recipes or
>could point me in the right direction. Thanks!
>
>Vladimir Misha Iarunovich

I'm afraid the short answer is "no."

So far as I know, the only period source of Russian recipes is
_Domostroi_. The published translation dates the contents, as best I
recall, to the sixteenth and early seventeenth century; it might go a
little earlier but I'm pretty sure not much. And I don't think there
are any specific parts that are known to be earlier than sixteenth.
So unless you are extending the medieval period for Russia that late,
none of the recipes are known to be medieval, although some are
period.

Furthermore, the Domostroi has very few descriptions that are
complete enough to be considered recipes, although it has a lot of
general information about food and other matters.

If you want period Russian recipes, I would suggest trying to mine
the _Domostroi_ for what you can find and then seeing if there are
period recipes from other cuisines that seem to fit into the general
description of food in the _Domostroi_. You can find one _Domostroi_
recipe (for cabbage) in the Miscellany, on my site.
--
David Friedman
Professor of Law
ddfr at best.com