[Sca-cooks] Reference to 'stale' ale.

Thu May 24 06:21:06 PDT 2001

I think it may show up in To The King's Taste, but I'm far away from my
copy.

However, in Middle English, "stale" can mean settled or clear, probably from
the Germanic "estal" meaning stand or standing place.  So a "stale ale" is
probably one which has been left standing to let the particles settle out.

Bear