[Sca-cooks] Reference to 'stale' ale.

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Thu May 24 20:57:11 PDT 2001

--- grizly at mindspring.com wrote:

> Historical Companion to HouseBrewing gives the
> distinction in 14c.
> England of Ales being gruit bittered whiles beers
> were hopped.

Thanks for the reference.  I was not aware that the
bitterness was a desired attribute in beer during this
time.  I had assumed it was fairly modern because of
the distinction between ale and 'bitters' used in
modern England and certain parts of Europe.  The above
reference clarifies this.

> composition that would
> ass an additional character to the cooked soup.

Not sure I want *that* in my soup, but to each his
own.

Balthazar of Blackmoor :)

=====
Let the people hate, as long as they also fear.