[Sca-cooks] Reference to 'stale' ale.

Ted Eisenstein Alban at socket.net
Thu May 24 21:38:03 PDT 2001

>> Historical Companion to HouseBrewing gives the
>> distinction in 14c.
>> England of Ales being gruit bittered whiles beers
>> were hopped.
>
>Thanks for the reference.  I was not aware that the
>bitterness was a desired attribute in beer during this
>time.  I had assumed it was fairly modern because of
>the distinction between ale and 'bitters' used in
>modern England and certain parts of Europe.  The above
>reference clarifies this.

Ummmmm. . . . Are you using "bitters" as in a general
class of bitter ales, as in what the English like to drink
in pubs, a variety of beer/ale? Or as a separate liquid
added to the very occasional mixed drink, as in Angostura
Bitters?

. . . and is there any truth to the rumor I once heard that
the latter is a very good thing to drink straight, as a remedy
for an upset stomach?

Alban