[Sca-cooks] Reference to 'stale' ale.

Ted Eisenstein Alban at socket.net
Thu May 24 22:43:43 PDT 2001

>Back where I come from, a 'bitter' is a 'snaps' flavoured with
>wormwood,

Wormwood? The stuff that absinthe used to be made from, and
is now never ever used in the U.S. because it's not good for
you?

>to make one, if you're interested, you just infuse your herb(s) of
>choice in alcohol (not vodka, it should be aquavit or similar) for as
>long as it takes.

And if it's bitters-in-aquavit, it's served in the usual way, i.e., chilled
to within an inch of its life? <grin>
(I don't know which I'd prefer - an upset stomach but no hangover,
or a hangover but no upset stomach. . . )

"Or similar"? What other drinks are there that are similar, in Scandinavia?
I'm thinking it may be time for me to get back into cordial-making.

Alban