[Sca-cooks] Reference to 'stale' ale.

Maggie Forest maggie at forest.gen.nz
Fri May 25 00:23:39 PDT 2001

>>Back where I come from, a 'bitter' is a 'snaps' flavoured with
>>wormwood,
>Wormwood? The stuff that absinthe used to be made from, and
>is now never ever used in the U.S. because it's not good for
>you?

yup, that wormwood. It's not good for you if you consume great
amounts, but we're talking one twig in one bottle here.

>And if it's bitters-in-aquavit, it's served in the usual way, i.e., chilled
>to within an inch of its life? <grin>

well... not necessarily, but yes, usually. You just leave the bottle
in the freezer for those indigestive moments.

>(I don't know which I'd prefer - an upset stomach but no hangover,
>or a hangover but no upset stomach. . . )

no need to choose - the bitter will deal with both problems. <g>

>"Or similar"? What other drinks are there that are similar, in Scandinavia?
>I'm thinking it may be time for me to get back into cordial-making.

oh, there's any number of herbs/spices you could use. caraway, anise,
you name it, it's been added to alcohol. We are talking about the
'vodka belt' after all. I'm a little hazy in my memories (no, really?)
but there is at least one current resident of Sweden on the list, so
I'm sure more details can be gleaned.

My personal favourite is actually the Bornholmer, but I haven't been
successful in finding out the spices used. Anybody have any idea?
(longshot).

/maggie

Good communication is as stimulating as black coffee,
and just as hard to sleep after - Anne Morrow Lindbergh