[Sca-cooks] Reference to 'stale' ale.

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri May 25 03:27:10 PDT 2001

Maggie Forest wrote:

> >>Back where I come from, a 'bitter' is a 'snaps' flavoured with
> >>wormwood,
> >Wormwood? The stuff that absinthe used to be made from, and
> >is now never ever used in the U.S. because it's not good for
> >you?
>
> yup, that wormwood. It's not good for you if you consume great
> amounts, but we're talking one twig in one bottle here.

Ah, yes, rather like that other well-known poison, water. Which, as
everyone knows, is fatal if you drink 387 gallons of the stuff. It
causes ruptures of the stomach, vomiting, and on occasion in
sufficiently large quantities, death.

Pregnant women should not drink 387 gallons of water.

Nursing mothers should not drink 387 gallons of water.

Small children and people over 65, with or without heart conditions,
should not drink 387 gallons of water.

Warning to users of Sears brand tools: Do not stick a screwdriver in
your eye and then drink 387 gallons of water.

Warning to McDonalds' patrons: Do not pour scalding hot coffee over
yourself (because, you see, it is hot) and then drink 387 gallons of water.

Warning to all players of Russian Roulette: Do _not_ play Russian
Roulette and then drink 387 gallons of water. Studies have shown this is
_extremely_ dangerous.

Adamantius (who has been known to ingest poisonous water in small quantities)
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com