[Sca-cooks] Reference to 'stale' ale.

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Fri May 25 08:08:28 PDT 2001

--- "Decker, Terry D." <TerryD at Health.State.OK.US>
wrote:
> IMS, there is a description of the Vandal ale pot in
> Pliny.  I know there is
> a description of using ale barm to leaven bread.
>
> I suspect the initial yeasting of such was by
> exposure to the air (as with
> lambics) and that we wound up with ale yeasts
> because the brewers saved the
> dregs of good batches of ale to start the next.

Entirely likely.

> This raises the question as
> to when period brewers used open cooling of the wort
> and when they
> inoculated the wort.

Hmmnn..good question.  I know the Tadcaster brewery
still uses open slate fermenting tubs for their porter
and stout, which, IMS, date back to either late- or-
just- out- of- period.

Balthazar of Blackmoor

=====
Let the people hate, as long as they also fear.