[Sca-cooks] Reference to 'stale' ale.

Cindy M. Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Tue May 29 00:41:48 PDT 2001

<snip>  However, I can't remember where I read this and I've checked
<snip>.' and Renfrow's 'A Sip Through Time' but not found it anywhere.

>/Angus MacIomhair,

Hi!  Right author, wrong book, if this is what you're thinking of.  This is
from Take a Thousand Eggs or More (vol 2, 2nd edition).

Footnote:
"The words stale and fryed can be interpreted in two different ways.  The
word stale, in conjunction with the word ale, can mean either clear
(settled and clarified), or stale (no longer fresh).  Fraid or fryid either
means fried as in 'already used,' or cold, from Fr. froid.
If we accept the definitions 'fried' oil and 'stale' ale, Oyle Soppys
becomes a barely edible concoction of stale ale, re-used oil, and boiled
onions - a dish fit for servants rather than for the high table.  However,
we cannot entirely dismiss this interpretation since it is quite evident,
based on the many recipes for entrails and leftover bits and scraps in our
collection, that our authors were frugal people.  The hopless ale of this
era, typically brewed in batches of a hogshead or more, spoiled quickly
(hops acts as a preservative as well as a flavoring agent; see note Vol. 1,
p. 155), and a soup that uses up stale ale and fried oil does make some
sense in this context.  Nonetheless, a soup which calls for clear ale would
be much more pleasant, and would also explain the presence of expensive
spices in this recipe."

Harleian MS. 279 - Potage Dyvers
xxxiij.  Oyle Soppys. Take a gode quantyte of Oynonys, and mynse hem not to
smale, an sethe in fayre Water:  [th]an take hem vp, an take a gode
quantite of Stale Ale, as .iij. galouns, an [th]er-to take a pynte of Oyle
fryid, an caste [th]e Oynonys [th]er-to, an let boyle alle to-gederys a
gode whyle; then caste [th]er-to Safroune, powder Pepyr, Sugre, an Salt, an
serue forth alle hote as tostes, as in [th]e same maner for a Mawlard & of
a capon, & hoc quære.

33.  Oil Sops.  Take a good quantity of Onions, and mince them not too
small, and seethe in fair Water:  then take them up, and take a good
quantity of Stale  Ale, as 3 gallons, and thereto take a pint of Oil fryed,
and cast the Onions thereto, and let boil all together a good while; then
cast thereto Saffron, powdered Pepper, Sugar, and Salt, and serve forth all
hot as toasts, as in the same manner for a Mallard & of a capon, & see this.

Harleian MS. 4016

130 Oyle soppes.  Take a good quantite of oynons, and myce hem, no[3]t to
smale, & seth hem in faire water, And take hem vppe; and then take a good
quantite of stale ale, as .iij. galons, And there-to take a pynte of goode
oyle that is fraied, and cast the oynons there-to, And lete al boyle
togidre a grete [while];  and caste there-to Saffron and salt, And [th]en
put brede, in maner of brewes, and cast the licour there-on, and serue hit
forth hote.

130.  Oil sops.  Take a good quantity of onions, and mince them, not too
small, & seethe them in fair water, And take them up; and then take a good
quantity of stale ale, as three gallons, And thereto take a pint of good
oil that is fraied,  and cast the onions thereto, And let all boil together
a great [while]; and cast thereto Saffron and salt, And then put bread, in
maner of [sops for] broth, and cast the liquor thereon, and serve it forth
hot.

HTH,

Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu
cindy at thousandeggs.com