[Sca-cooks] OT soap noodles (was coffee soap)

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri May 25 17:10:26 PDT 2001

Kelsey wrote:
>Soaps like Ivory are manufactured in such a way that the
>naturally occurring glycerin in soap is removed.  Why is it removed?  So
>the glycerin can be sold separately in lotion!

Or turned into glycerin soap...

>  Soap noodles rarely have
>removed the glycerin.  They feel dry to the touch, but they generally
>contain more moisture than manufactured soap.

Yeah, the home made soaps i made had a good dose of glycerin in them
naturally from the olive oil. I've never tried the new EZ soap
ingredients (cold batch, stuff you buy in a jar and shape by hand,
soap noodles, etc.)

>This is not to say that Ivory cannot be successfully used for
>rebatching.  However; it would not be my first choice.  I will freely admit
>that it has been a long time since I've used manufactured soap for any
>purpose.

One thing i did, long ago, and in a kingdom far, far away, was save
all my little soap bar remnants in a plastic bag. When it looked like
i had enough, i put the dry soap in my blender to grate it. Then i
mixed it with a little honey and a little olive oil and a little
water; melted it over a very low fire, stirring frequently; then
molded it. Those were my first soap making experiments back in the
70s - a way of recycling...

The homemade lye soap i made in the 80s...

Anahita