[Sca-cooks] OT soap noodles (was coffee soap)

Kelsey kelsey9 at mindspring.com
Fri May 25 15:54:03 PDT 2001

At 12:47 AM 5/24/01 -0500, Stefan inquired

>"soap noodles"? I assume this isn't a mis-spelling of "soup". :-) Are
>these long strings of soap that can be used as the basis for making
>perfumed soaps and such?

Yes, but they're not really so long.  Think:  Mueller's egg noodles. (does
that qualify for food content? *g*)

>Interesting. Then is there any differance between buying these
>soap noodles and taking a bar of soap (say plain ivory or some such)
>and grinding it up and using that?

Yes..  Soap noodles can vary quite a bit depending on the source.  They can
be found at craft stores under several different names.  Many handmade
soapmakers sell shredded soap.  The ingredients vary from maker to maker,
as does quality. Soaps like Ivory are manufactured in such a way that the
naturally occurring glycerin in soap is removed.  Why is it removed?  So
the glycerin can be sold separately in lotion!  Soap noodles rarely have
removed the glycerin.  They feel dry to the touch, but they generally
contain more moisture than manufactured soap.  Both of these seemingly
small details facilitate melting the soap to a state liquid enough that
additives can be incorporated and the soap can be molded even in detailed
molds.

This is not to say that Ivory cannot be successfully used for
rebatching.  However; it would not be my first choice.  I will freely admit
that it has been a long time since I've used manufactured soap for any
purpose.

Love and light and laughter
Kelsey

"The earth laughs in flowers."