[Sca-cooks] Sweet onions in period Europe

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri May 25 18:30:30 PDT 2001

In a message dated 5/24/01 7:53:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mark.s.harris at motorola.com writes:

<< Another onion as sweet as the Vidalia in period? I really doubt
 this.  >>

Sweet Spanish Onions come immediately to mind. There grow as large as (or
usually larger than) Vidalias and are very sweetbut not quite as sweet as
Vidalias. IUnfortunately I don't know if this type of onion is a 'modern'
hybrid or a variety of onion on its own. I also don't know if they are
European or period. But they definitely have been around for good long time
before Vidalias were even thought of. My Grandfather always grew them since I
was a small child, say 40+ years ago. Until Vidalias came on the scene, they
were considered the  finast, sweetest onion available and often were
advertised as being able to be eaten like an apple.

Ras