[Sca-cooks] Sweet onions in period Europe

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri May 25 18:42:04 PDT 2001

In a message dated 5/25/01 9:19:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com writes:

<< Aren't Vidalia onions sweet in part because of the particular soil they
 grow in, in Georgia? Or am I way off?

 Margaret >>

Supposedly. I have tried to grow them here in the northest a few years back
but they failed to attain any size because they are a southern onion. Onions
grow and form bulbs because they are either long day varieties or short day
varieties. For instance, Stuttegarter (sp?), the common yellow cooking onion,
is the most grown northern variety. Sweet Spanish onions are also northern
varieties. Vidalia is a southern variety although some seed and plant sources
have offered a northern Vidalia recently. Anyway, my vidalias did not make
very large bulbs but they were sweet. :-)

Ras