[Sca-cooks] Sweet onions in period Europe

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat May 26 19:38:59 PDT 2001

Hullo, the list!

Sorry to sorta misattribute, but I missed this the first time around...

rcmann4 at earthlink.net wrote/quoted:

> On 26 May 01,, Stefan li Rous wrote:
>
> > > From: http://members.aol.com/oddwonder/foodhis.htm
> > >
> > > Historians tell us that a sweet onion was the favorite dessert of the Romans. BBB-22

Wow! I wonder when they ate those must cakes, globi, placenta, and
various other sweet custards, honeyed dates, honeyed fritters, etc. Of
course, these may have been snacks, and maybe they _did_ finish a meal
with sweet onions. Although lettuce seems to have been a tradition for
this as well... .

> > > (No referance though. And the same site also says:
> > > All members of the Roman empire were vegetarians until Julias Caesar. BBB-69

Wow again! What was all that about the giant snails found in Africa and
imported as a delicacy in Gaius Marius's day? To name but a single,
legitimate reference to flesh foods measurably prior to Marius's
grandson, Caesar (if you count gastropod univalves as sufficiently meaty
to not be vegetarian).

> > > So I question the validity of this site. I don’t know what the “BBB-22” is.
>
> The site's bibliography is on a separate page:
> http://members.aol.com/oddwonder/biblio.htm
>
> BBB-22 is "Ripley's Believe It Or Not", Bonanza Books, Crown
> Publishing, 1985
> BBB-69 is "2201 Fascinating Facts" by David Louis, Greenwich House,
> New York, 1983
> Most of his other sources are similar in quality.

Evidently...

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy