[Sca-cooks] lunch dishes

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Tue May 29 08:16:57 PDT 2001

[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]
I found that the most popular thing I've ever served for a lunch item was cold
chicken chunks (I used chicken breasts because you get the most meat for your
money with them) along with the Cold Sage Sauce from Early French Cookery by
Scully (it originally came from Du fait de cuisine).  This was easy to fix,
especially ahead of time, and went like hot cakes!

Kiri (I believe I've supplied the recipe before, but if you want it let me
know and I'll forward it to you.)

Ted Eisenstein wrote:

(I'm back, after a long absence: I was Down Under. Never
let anyone tell you that Aussies don't know how to cook.
<burp>)

Anyway, I came back, and my home shire is discussing
recruitment drives, to possibly eventually include a demo-type
thing for several local colleges. The woman who came
up with the idea (and it met with a lot of approval) suggested
that the demo(s) be done as period as possible - not necessarily
specifically one time and place, but insofar as possible
everything should be within period. . . And she looked straight
at me and suggested I might be the person to come up with
lunch for all those students, since I've been in the kitchen at
almost every shire event for 10 years or so.
(One demo for all the colleges? Several demos, to be located
at various points? Dunno, yet. But I'm asking y'all this, now,
to be fully prepared for all eventualities.)

So:
Are there any good sources for lunches, either menus or recipes?
Off-hand, I can recall quite a few for dinners, and grand events,
and coronations, and upper-class sit-down feasts, and the like - but
my admittedly shallow knowledge for food research doesn't
remember any _lunch_ things.
Recommendations of sources? Suggestions for good luncheon items,
if there are no good sources? I'd tend to think the food offered should
be portable (no large roasts), convenient (no small roasts, either; the
students most likely won't be bringing silverware), quite edible to
people unaccustomed to period food (so, some spices, but nothing
too "ooh, icky, that's weird" like grains of paradise or massive amounts
of saffron, say), and doesn't need a whole lot of refrigeration. I'd imagine
I could do a fair amount of pre-cooking, and requisition a grill for
last minute heating of soups, say, or sausages, or Cornish-pasty-type
things.
Drinks I can punt on: no iced tea, I know; sekanjubin and fruit-type
drinks I can find recipes for, and there's always water. It's food I
need help on. . .

Alban