[Sca-cooks] Vidalia Onions

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Tue May 29 09:22:41 PDT 2001

I do know that only onions from that part of Georgia are supposed to be
called "Vidalia", so from that one could assume that it's the soil at
least in part.  I also suspect, as others have indicated, that it's the
longer growing season.  I also know that, in the past, they were only
available during a short period in the late spring and that they didn't
keep as well as other types of onion.

Along the same lines, for the first time this year, I actually bought
spring Vidalias...looked like scallions, only with a larger head (about
the size of a quarter or a little larger)!  They were wonderful and very
sweet.

Kiri