[Sca-cooks] Vidalia Onions

Tue May 29 11:07:19 PDT 2001

> But would that little amount of water have much effect?
> That's why I initially verified, that indeed, the pan in
> the oven was uncovered. That's a lot of oven and one small
> pan. It would seem to work better if the pan was covered.

The critical point is the surface area of the water.  The greater the
surface area, the faster it will evaporate.  Small oven pans work better
than large oven pans.

Uncovered the onion bakes and carmelizes.  Covered it steams and doesn't
carmelize.  As the onion bakes, its structure should wick water up from the
pan to keep the onion moist and improve the flavor.

> Also, "The water will help to moderate the temperature of
> the oven, as well as provide humidity". Why not just turn
> down the temperature of the oven, some? Say, 250 degrees
> instead of 300?
>
> Stefan li Rous

Ovens tend to be hotter near the heat source, cooling as you get farther
away.  Since air is a fluid medium, they can also develop cold spots.
Increasing the humidity increases the air density and evens the heating.

250 degrees F may not produce the carmelization desired in the onions, but
be perfectly adequate for preparing garlic.  A dry roasted onion will
carmelize at 250 F, but may not be as tasty as one cooked in broth.

Bear