[Sca-cooks] re: baked onions

Craig Jones. craig.jones at airservices.gov.au
Tue May 29 17:15:26 PDT 2001

>In lists.sca.sca-cooks, you wrote:
>>I can hazard no guess as to the origin of the recipe but I've made these for
>>years. But with minor changes. With a sharp paring knife, trim just enough
>>of the base to cut away the roots and let the onion sit up properly.  Cut an
>>asterisk into the top (describing this without waving my hands in the air is
>>becoming difficult); with the onion sitting on its base on a square of
>>aluminum foil, cut downward, turn the onion a quarter, cut again to make a
>>cross, then again at the eighths. We would either add a half pat of butter
>>and a drizzle of honey, or a splash of basalmic vinegar. The cuts need to be
>>pretty deep to let it open up into a flower when it's baked. This is
>>wonderful with a 1015 in season, but are even good with older or sharper
>>onions.

A like Jamie Oliver's recipe for baked onion myself.  I stand the onions
upright in a Yorkshire Pudding dish (a baking dish with shallow circular
depressions) with the onions cut in a cross and 1/2 a pat of butter and a sprig
of Lemon Thyme in each Onion.  Pukka Mate!

Cheers,

Drakey.

ps.  I've done them that way substituting Powder Forte for Lemon Thyme for a
Jamie Oliver cross with The Medieval Kitchen kinda concept.  Yumbo.

Regards,

Craig Jones.

AMMS System Administrator, PO Box 367 Canberra City 2601
Engineering Services,      Phone: +61 2 6268 5099
Air Services Australia.    Fax: +61 2 6268 5020
E-Mail: craig.jones at airservices.gov.au
CAUTION:  This e-mail is confidential.  If you are not the intended
recipient, you must not disclose or use the information contained
in it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please tell us
immediately by return e-mail and delete the document.

Airservices Australia does not represent, warrant or guarantee
that the integrity of this communication is free of errors, virus
or interference.