[Sca-cooks] re: baked onions

Kirrily Robert skud at infotrope.net
Tue May 29 17:00:53 PDT 2001

In lists.sca.sca-cooks, you wrote:
>I can hazard no guess as to the origin of the recipe but I've made these for
>years. But with minor changes. With a sharp paring knife, trim just enough
>of the base to cut away the roots and let the onion sit up properly.  Cut an
>asterisk into the top (describing this without waving my hands in the air is
>becoming difficult); with the onion sitting on its base on a square of
>aluminum foil, cut downward, turn the onion a quarter, cut again to make a
>cross, then again at the eighths. We would either add a half pat of butter
>and a drizzle of honey, or a splash of basalmic vinegar. The cuts need to be
>pretty deep to let it open up into a flower when it's baked. This is
>wonderful with a 1015 in season, but are even good with older or sharper
>onions.

A trick I learnt (don't remember where) is that studding each onion with
a few whole cloves tastes *wonderful*.  It sounds weird, but it works
really well.

K.

--
Kirrily 'Skud' Robert - skud at infotrope.net - http://infotrope.net/
"Don't think of it as being fired... think of it as leaving early to