[Sca-cooks] online glossary

Cindy M. Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Wed May 30 10:33:02 PDT 2001

Progress report
The glossary file is up to 72K.  I just finished interfiling my glossary
from Take a Thousand Eggs with that from Thorvald Grimsson / James
Prescott's Viandier, as well as your suggestions & additions from the past
week.

Here are a few more terms to kick around.  If you have sources and
alternate spellings please send them along.

amber of grece, ambergris

maslin

long pepper

quart -- "At the time the Paris quart was 1.86 litres, significantly larger
than the modern quart (Montagne, Zupko)." (Viandier)
What other measurement terms do folks know of, and is there a table of
medieval measurements and their modern equivalents?

I know of
http://www2.misnet.com/~jliferjr/hereare.htm 6 pages from the Gauger and
Measurer's Companion, 1694, showing weights and measures
and
http://classics.holycross.edu/Courses/IT_in_Classics/F97/exercises/04.Spreadshee
ts.html A calculator for ancient weights and measures (using spreadsheets)

Are there more?  Is there one site that puts all measurements together by
time & place? Is there any non-mathematically-challenged person interesting
in tackling this project?

Where is the page of Church holidays someone here did? (Caristiona?)

Regards,

Cindy