[Sca-cooks] online glossary

Ted Eisenstein Alban at socket.net
Wed May 30 13:16:51 PDT 2001

>Here are a few more terms to kick around.  If you have sources and
>alternate spellings please send them along.
>
>amber of grece, ambergris
I think my memory's not working right, because something tells
me this is a whale by-product, and that doesn't seem right somehow.

>What other measurement terms do folks know of, and is there a table of
>medieval measurements and their modern equivalents?
There were 2 CA's printed a while ago (somewhere around CA 90, or
91, or 92, I believe) that were on Metrology. Not meteorology, the
study of weather, but metrology, the study of measurements. The
CA's in question contained a _lot_ of equivalencies between various
measurements - gallons, els, pences, quarts, rods, and the like, I think.

Alban