[Sca-cooks] online glossary

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Wed May 30 20:13:05 PDT 2001

Hello,

I don't have any of his books on hand, but I've obtained them through ILL in
the past. Dr. Ronald E. Zupko has books on:
British weights and measures from antiquity to the 17th century,
British weights and measures from Anglo-Saxon times to the 19th century,
British weights and measures from the Middle Ages to the 20th century,
A Dictionary of English weights and measures,
Revolution in Measurement: Western European weights and measures,
French weights and measures before the Revolution,
Italian weights and measures from the Middle Ages to the 19th century.

His books are difficult to read (crammed typescript), but they do identify
when and where various terms were used, and how they equate to modern
measures. It was priceless when I was trying to figure out how big a
hogshead was in East Kent in 1577, or how big a gallon was in London and up
in the north country at the same time. The 15th century Italian measures
were very helpful because there are references to them in Catalunya as well
as Italy.

Regards,
Thomas