[Sca-cooks] online glossary

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Thu May 31 07:21:20 PDT 2001

[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]
Cindy,
You might want to check the new Perry book, Medieval Arab Cookery.  (Yes, I
know...he's only one of several authors).  There are a number of terms that
you might want to use, along with a table of measurements.

To everyone else....to might great delight, this book arrived yesterday, and I
believe it is worth every penny I paid for it.  I'm really glad I didn't wait.
It has an enormous amount of information in it (even an article that compares
blancmanger with a similar Arabic dish!!)  The book is comprised of several
scholarly articles on different aspects of Arabic cookery along with
translations of several period manuscripts.  It includes the original
translation of al-Baghdadi with annotations by Perry.  I am very pleased with
the book and look forward to trying some of the recipes that it contains
(actually I already have...the Fried Spinach recipe that I used for Festival
of Kites, which I got from Paul Buell's monograph on the influence of Arabic
cookery on Mongol foods is in there!!).

Kiri

"Cindy M. Renfrow" wrote:

Progress report
The glossary file is up to 72K.  I just finished interfiling my glossary
from Take a Thousand Eggs with that from Thorvald Grimsson / James
Prescott's Viandier, as well as your suggestions & additions from the past
week.

Here are a few more terms to kick around.  If you have sources and
alternate spellings please send them along.

amber of grece, ambergris

maslin

long pepper

quart -- "At the time the Paris quart was 1.86 litres, significantly larger
than the modern quart (Montagne, Zupko)." (Viandier)
What other measurement terms do folks know of, and is there a table of
medieval measurements and their modern equivalents?

I know of
http://www2.misnet.com/~jliferjr/hereare.htm[1] 6 pages from the Gauger and
Measurer's Companion, 1694, showing weights and measures
and
http://classics.holycross.edu/Courses/IT_in_Classics/F97/exercises/04.Spreadshee[2]
ts.html A calculator for ancient weights and measures (using spreadsheets)

Are there more?  Is there one site that puts all measurements together by
time & place? Is there any non-mathematically-challenged person interesting
in tackling this project?

Where is the page of Church holidays someone here did? (Caristiona?)

Regards,

Cindy