[Sca-cooks] feast size

Mem Morman mem.morman at oracle.com
Thu May 31 11:19:28 PDT 2001

The largest feast I ever worked on was a Jaelle feast - an interkingdom
12th night - held at a Greek Orthodox church in Philadelphia.  We served
600 people.  The entire event is a blur, I don't even remember what we
cooked, I just remember doing lots and lots and lots of it.

Here in the Outlands feasts usually tend to run 120 to 180.  Our local
cooks guild has serving gear for 160.  With a reasonable kitchen, this
seems to me a good size for a feast.

Last year at the cooks symposium here in Colorado Springs (not an SCA
event) we did two small banquets - about 50 people each.  They were both
superb and the small number of feasters and large kitchen offered us the
opportunity to give a lot of individual attention to dishes -
decorating, individual servings, etc.  Doing a banquet like that, with
good $$ for food, and participants who really appreciated what they were
eating was a real delight.  Looking forward to the next one in January
2002.

Elaina