[SCA-cooks] Marrow spoons - heading OOP

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Fri Nov 2 07:47:00 PST 2001

		Actually, I have what I've been told is a marrow spoon, not
medieval, but probably Victorian.  It is sterling silver and has a sort of
spoon shape...only instead of being
		dished, it is a flat shape with the edges rolled up so that
it almost resembles a cylinder.  At the other end it has a large knob which
I've been told was used to crack the
		bone, then the spoon end was used to scoop it out. It's
probably about 8 - 10 inches long.   It's quite a lovely piece that I
inherited from my former husband's
		grandmother...the type of lady who, if such a thing was
available, would be sure to have a marrow spoon!
		Kiri

Yep, that's a marrow spoon. My mum collects silver so I have browsed through
her books and know all sorts of useless cutlery formats I'll never use
<smile>. You also can get a marrow spoon which has a slight 'hollowed' end
and I have seen one with a spoon on the other end, but it was debatable if
that was the original form. They go back to early Georgian times, and though
I've never seen a Jacobean one, that's no reason to say they didn't exist.
It would be interesting to find out. After all, they must have got the
marrow out with something? Then again, maybe it never made it in
'unprocessed' form to the table?

ciao
Lucrezia

This electronic message contains information from CACI International Inc or
subsidiary companies, which may be confidential, proprietary,
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  The information is
intended to be used solely by the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not
an intended recipient, be aware that any review, disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of this transmission or its contents is prohibited.  If
you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately
at postmaster at caci.co.uk

Viruses: Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good
computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.