[Sca-cooks] Re: Chicken & pear stew ?

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 5 13:52:41 PST 2001

>The original recipe is from "Ein Buch von Guter Spise," trans:  Alia
>Atlas. I found it online.
>"Recipe 30: Chicken and Pear Stew
>30. Ein gut spise (A good food)
>
>Nim hu:enre. die brat niht volle gar. entlide die zu morseln, und laz
>sie sieden nur in smaltze und wazzers. und nim eine rinden brotes und
>ingeber und ein wenic pfeffers und anis. daz mal mit ezzige. und mit
>dem selben sodich in. und nim vier gebraten ku:ten. und daz condiment
>dar zu. der hu:enren. laz ez wol da mit sieden. daz ez werde eben
>dicke. hastu niht ku:ten so nim gebraten bieren und mach ez da mite.
>und gibz hin und versaltz ez niht.
>Take hens. Roast them, not very well. Tear them apart, into morsels,
>and let them boil in only fat and water. And take a crust of bread and
>ginger and a little pepper and anise. Grind that with vinegar and with
>the same strength as it. And take four roasted quinces and the
>condiment thereto of the hens. Let it boil well therewith, so that it
>even becomes thick. If you do not have quinces, then take roasted pears
>and make it with them. And give out and do not oversalt."
>  She has a redaction, too, but it's not the one I used, I found this
>one somewhere else - forget where and or who :-(
>   This is the base recipe I used (I made it with about 22 pounds of
>poultry parts, 5 times this one)
>
>5 pounds chicken pieces (5 pounds =3 cups)
>1 chicken bouillon cube
>1 can (14oz) chicken broth
>    plus water to cover
>4 pears, bosc
>1 cups red wine vinegar
>1/2 cup breadcrumbs
>2 teaspoons ground ginger
>1 teaspoon black pepper
>2  teapoons ground anise seed
>salt to taste
>Bethra

Hello.  I was going back over this recipe as I am planning on making it for
the company pot luck this week and I have a question.  The redaction you
give here calls for red wine vinegar.  Why?  The original calls for grinding
the bread, spices and vinegar together (in same amounts?) yet does not
specify the type so I would assume white.  Also, the original calls for
boiling the under-baked chicken only in fat and water.  I am supposing that
the redaction here calls for canned broth and bouillon simply as a
preference of taste, though not very period.
Olwen