[Sca-cooks] Farmers Market WAS Mystery Vegetable OOP

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Tue Nov 6 02:52:45 PST 2001

And where do you live? Your farmers' market sounds _amazing_. (ours is
closed for the season, darn it all.)
--Maire

London. The market I go to is Borough Market, which is at London Bridge. It
stays open almost every Saturday all year round now, as it's under cover,
though it used to only be open the first Saturday of the month. I think
during the week it's a commercial vege distribution zone. But at the
weekends all the farmers bring their goods in.
The range is very wide - there's a couple of very good fish stores - they
had little live linguistone (?) scuttling around the ice this weekend, and a
whole five foot shark being carved as people requested, as well as a lot of
normal fish catch of the day, and another place which has the most enormous
crabs and lobsters. The meat stalls range from organic chicken and beef to
ostrich and wild boar, as well as German, French and Italian importers of
salamis and hams. Lots of English cheese stalls, and a couple of continental
ones. My favorite, the Spanish import store (more like a mini shop than a
stall) is where I buy my wine vinegar (made from wine and I can't rhapsodise
enough about it), paella rice and various other items (including this time
the most amazing fresh pickled anchovy fillets - a wonderful taste
sensation). Various other odds and ends imports, preserved and fresh goods
stalls and lunch-making stalls. Also a couple of truly excellent vegetable
stalls that have a wide range of herbs, vegetables - for instance they
always have at least 6 varieties of potato (I bought some little black
truffle potatoes which turned out to be an amazing purple colour inside and
quite fluffy, flaky and sweet when cooked), fruit - including some I've
never seen before i.e. dragon fruit which is the most amaaazing fuchsia pink
colour! and of course, wild and cultivated mushrooms, which is a separate
company I think. They import them as well as collecting and cultivating
them. They had some truly ugly huge orange fungi from Canada, but I wasn't
feeling quite that adventurous. All in all, it's a wonderful way to spend
the day. Next time you (or anyone else!) are in London, I will drag you
along! :-)

Ciao
Lucrezia

This electronic message contains information from CACI International Inc or
subsidiary companies, which may be confidential, proprietary,
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  The information is
intended to be used solely by the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not
an intended recipient, be aware that any review, disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of this transmission or its contents is prohibited.  If
you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately
at postmaster at caci.co.uk

Viruses: Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good
computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.