[Sca-cooks] Farmers Market

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Tue Nov 6 08:07:01 PST 2001

hey all from Anne-Marie

here in Seattle, WA (Barony of Madrone, An Tir) we have Pike Place Market.
Year round. Wednesdays are organic produce day (local farmers come and set
up stalls in addition to the regular stalls). Three awesome fish vendors
including the Flying Fish people who you see on all the commercials,
flinging stuff around to much barking and carnivale atmosphere. I dont shop
there on principle :). A bajillion produce vendors carrying local stuff as
well as choice select imported stuff. My favorite is Sosios. I call them
before a banquet and they give me case prices on everything, plus I just
drive up and they load my car up. Local vendors of honey, jams, nuts,
(mmmm...orange glazed filberts....), fresh flowers (a huge bouquet of
seasonal blooms for $6 from a nice Vietnamese granny :)), etc. Several
Cheese shops. The Creamery (you can buy gallons of local cream for cheap,
as well as local eggs, butter, creme fraiche, devonshire creme, etc),
several butchers who carry everything from beautiful roasts that they're
happy to stuff and roll for you to real sausage casings, sheep testicles,
veal, capon, etc. DeLaurentis, an amazing Italian deli and grocer where you
can get bulk ground almonds, candied flowers, dried beans of every type, a
wonderful selection of cheese and charcuterie, fresh pasta including sheets
for making your own raviolis, olives, olive oil, vinegars and verjuice,
canned stuff from Italy, etc.; the Souk, wehre I can get rosewater for $4 a
big bottle, pomegranite molasses, three kinds of pita, three kinds of
favabeans, ghee, etc; The Spanish Table with wonderful spanish ceramics
(poor mans majolica), clay cook pots that look very medieval, assorted
tapas stuffs and an amazing wine selection'; did I mention the wine shop?
Of course there's WorldSPice too, where you can get poudre forte, poudre
douce, grains of paradise, saffron, galangale, cubebs, etc and have a nice
cup of tea with Tony the owner :).

and dont forget the craft vendors, and the restaurants. Bolivian, Asian,
two Pierogi places, a couple pasta places, one of which specializes in take
out, middle eastern, and of course sea food :).

I work down the street on the waterfront. What a hardship!

--AM, who loves her town :).