[Sca-cooks] Farmers Market, Hawaii

Druighad at aol.com Druighad at aol.com
Tue Nov 6 12:50:47 PST 2001

In a message dated 11/6/01 2:00:18 PM Central Standard Time,
sca-cooks at treaclemine.cix.co.uk writes:

<< With such a local abundancy, can anyone
 from Hawai'i comment on this? >>

About 98% of all the local produce gets shipped to Mainland USA. The rest of
the stuff gets processed and then packed up. The best place to get the fresh
squeezed juices is from the plantations. There is nothing like fresh- out-
of- a- pineapple,- right out -of- the- field, glass of juice.

I didn't live there, but my brother did, and though a glorious land, living
expenses are quite high. When a gallon of milk can run $4-5, you have to
really think about what you buy. There is also such a shortage of land space
that most everything has to be shipped in. All that juice you were drinking,
probably from California.

Next time you are there, try the local, roadside markets. They were better
than the stores and specialty markets. And definitly try to see the
plantations. I didn't know how sharp a bromeliad was until it bit me.
Pineapples are not finger friendly.

If you do get back there, I would like to suggest you try the following food
items, fresh poi, jellied coconut milk (think jello), the ever famous, roast
suckling pig in banana leaves, and go see Waimaia Valley Falls on Oahu. The
gardens are amazing and the peacocks are gorgous, even if they are hooting at
you from the trees.

Finnebhir, being nostalgic....