[Sca-cooks] sheep testicle recipes

Mark.S Harris mark.s.harris at motorola.com
Wed Nov 7 12:28:51 PST 2001

Amanda asked:
> > A bajillion produce vendors carrying local stuff... several butchers who
> carry everything from beautiful roasts ... to real sausage casings, sheep
> testicles
>
>         OK, wow! What is everyones favourite period sheep testicle
> recipe, and have you ever served it at a feast???

Well, I think the only one I've had was the one that Ras cooked for
the SCA-Cook's pot luck at Pennsic serveral years ago from the ram
from the slaughtering class.

You can find another recipe and some referances to some period
recipes using testicles from other animals, in this file in the
FOOD-MEATS section of the Florilegium:
organ-meats-msg   (92K) 10/ 1/01    Period cooking of organ meats.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/organ-meats-msg.html

>         <extended list of fabulous goodies drooled over and deleted>
>
>         So, we are living in a fantastic time, when many of us have
> relatively easy access to a wealth of exotic foods which would have
> given a Roman patrician a second thought!  Still, a large fraction of
> all this good stuff is unappreciated in the areas where it is produced,
> and has to be carried half-way around the planet by internal combustion
> engine (two cups of diesel for every cup of 'freshly squeezed' orange juice
> imported into the UK, some say!).

Just how expensive is the 'freshly squeezed' orange juice there?

Stefan